Wednesday 9 December 2015

What if? Metropolis - UV Mapping Update

Last night I was stressing out (a lot) about how to sort my UV mapping, nothing was working how I wanted it it/how I thought it would, and I ended up giving up and re-watching the Old Alley tutorials. This made me realize I really should have UV mapped my objects first before modeling my scene, as there are so many duplicates of the same item on all the structures, so this would have made it a lot easer. However, I talked to Simon this morning about it and he told me there actually is a way to duplicate a UV in Maya, transferring attributes, so I wouldn't have to sit for hours endlessly repeating the same process/just UV one and replace all the items over again. This is such a life saver and I'm able to UV map lots of items so quickly, plus re-watching the UV tutorials I feel quite a bit more confident with UVs now, so, onwards!
 
Once sorting out my object groupings (thank you again Simon) it was really quite easy for me to first find the original object for each form,  name it (should have done that before too - whoops), planar UV it, and then simply transfer the attributes onto the duplicates, as I hadn't edited the object, only scaled and rotated it.
 
 
It took me less than a minute to UV all these since the previous image, so all I need to do now is just get on and finish UVing.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment